February 10, 2014

Drawing Goal! To Draw 100 Hands

I've been taking a lot of 3D animation courses recently and at my day job I animate (for the most part) 2D digital puppets in Flash. Last night I lost track of time and stayed up to 1:30am working away on a 3D animation assignment! With all of this digital animation I'm doing I'm really missing drawing. I don't have time right now for life drawing sessions nor to work on my short film. On Saturday I felt like I was going to burst if I didn't just do a bit of sketching already! So I did. I started drawing my own hand holding a pen with the intention of doing a short and simple animation. I realised how relatively few hands I've actually drawn in my life. I want to memorize and understand human anatomy to become a better animator and sketching hands seems like an excellent starting point. So I've made the goal to understand the anatomy inside a human hand and draw 100 hands! It's such a perfect goal for me and I'll be able to fit it into my schedule by plugging away at it here and there.

Anyone want to join in on this artistic goal and share work in progress? It's a great goal for anyone. Even if you feel knowledgeable about drawing hands you could find a new style or interesting new hand poses. Or you could pick another subject, like feet or heads!

Drawings to come! For now, please enjoy these lovely hands drawn by Mohammad Almuti:

*Edit, This post was originally titled "Drawing Goal! To Draw 1000 Hands" but I've realised that 1000 hands isn't going to fit into my schedule in the next 5 months. Making goals that are reasonable and relative is important.

No comments:

Post a Comment